Everyone wants to look younger forever without revealing the secret fountain of youth. For flawless skin, people generally go for dermal fillers as they help to diminish facial lines and wrinkles and plump up your face, eventually giving you a healthy look. However, bruising can be one of the side effects of filler injections. Here’s what you should do to prevent bruising before dermal filler treatment:
What happens during the procedure?
Dermal fillers are gel-based material that is injected beneath your skin to restore youthful look without surgery. During your consultation, the doctor will take your detailed medical history, any medications you are on, and even your aesthetic concerns. Before starting the treatment, the nurse will clean and numb the treatment area with anesthesia to reduce discomfort and pain.
You will the treatment results immediately or after a few hours, depending upon the injectors. You can easily resume your daily activities after treatment, but your doctor can ask you to avoid exercising for a day or two.
What you must know about bruising
The most common side effect of dermal fillers is black and blue bruising. However, bruising has seen in around 20% to 60% of cases and lasts up to a week. People who are more prone to bruising may include:
- People with iron and vitamin C deficiencies.
- Malnourished people.
- Older patients with thin or sensitive skin.
- People who have consumed alcohol within 24 hours before treatment.
How to prep for your treatment to avoid bruising
You must take care of the following things to prevent bruising after dermal fillers.
- Avoid consuming these medications/supplements one month prior to your treatment, including aspirin, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oils, Omega-3, garlic, and gingko.
- No alcohol consumption at least two days before your treatment.
- Eat fresh fruits, especially pineapple, as it contains bromelain that is known for preventing bruising.
Now that you did your best to prevent bruising, here is a list of things that you can do post-injection to reduce bruising.
- Use an ice pack: The possibility of bruising tends to reduce when you apply ice before, during, and after injectable. Ice contracts the blood vessels and lessens the chance of bruise to spread. Use a thin paper towel to apply ice; do not use it directly on the skin.
- Avoid these supplements/medications post-treatment: you must not consume caffeine, alcohol, carbohydrates, high sugar food, Vitamin E, fresh oil, and garlic.
- Avoid touching the treated area: Avoid massaging or rubbing the treated area for at least 24 hours after the treatment. Touching will make the injectable spread to other untreated areas too.
- Apply arnica gel: It is a homeopathic medicine that is used to reduce bruising. Make sure to apply the gel with clean hands every two hours at least 24 hours after the treatment.
- No topical products: Avoid wearing lipstick or makeup on the treated area at least for 24 hours after the dermal filler treatment.
Don’t forget to prep your skin before treatment to avoid bruising. Med spa in Houston offers a safe and effective dermal infusion treatment fit for all skin types.
Book your services with us and get safe and effective services from Monday to Saturday. Also, we are open late on Thursday with our happy hour offer of 100$ off on all fillers’ services.